Iron Mountain, MI asked in Civil Rights for Michigan

Q: what can be done about an inmate do about being assaulted by another inmate if they are totally disabled

the disabled inmate was to be transferred out the day before into another unit and when the assault occurred he was coming in from the yard and the other inmate assaulted him the day after he was suppose to be transferred out but was still in the same unit everything was recorded on video so they had to dismiss his fighting ticket and moved him but the gash on his head was not treated and ended up with mersa which drained into his left ear causing hearing loss and now is in a wheelchair with no feeling from the waist down at all in carson city correctional facility after being moved from st. louis correctional facility for d.u.i. 3 and was over scored from the parole department when he was in court

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: When it comes to prison issues, there is very little you or I can do about anything that happens in there. The Michigan Department of Corrections has absolute control over what goes on, who gets transferred when and where, etc. There is a grievance process that prisoners MUST exhaust if they hope to have any relief by a court.

You should encourage this person to report what is going on to the appropriate prison staff if he hasn't done so already. If the prison is not properly informed of an issue, they can't be very well liable for it. However if there is a record of information, and they fail to act appropriately, that's another matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.