San Francisco, CA asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for California

Q: Can I sue my previous employer for harassment and emotional distress?

2 Lawyer Answers

Dale S. Gribow

  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Much more info needed.

How long ago did this happen and when did you leave and under what circumstances.

You need to contact a labor law attorney.

This is not an area of law that i handle.

William John Light

  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Not for conduct occurring while you were employed. That would be covered by workers compensation law. Consult with a workers compensation attorney on that.

However, if the harassment and emotional distress were motivated by your age, race, gender, ethnic origin, nationality, sexual orientation, disability, etc., then you can pursue a claim against your employer. Consult with a discrimination attorney and/or file a complaint with the Dept. of Fair Employment & Housing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.