New Baltimore, MI asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for Michigan

Q: How can I get a fraudulent judgement overturned. I appealed and was not given a fair day in court. Judge was totally bia

My ex wife and brother had a business arrangement that I was not apart of. I had zero knowledge of this arrangement until she stopped paying my brother what she owed him. Then he came to me trying to collect her debt. She was found guilty criminally and civilly. He brought me in civilly as well. I appeared at the 1 & 2nd court appearances and prosecuting attorney had them postponed to gather more evidence. The 3rd hearing I never received notice of and I was found guilty for failure to appear. I hired an attorney to appeal. There is no contract linking me to this transaction yet Judge decided that since I received the first 2 court dates he doesn't believe I was never notified of the 3rd. Ironically the Judge and prosecutor were "good drinking buddies." I am now forced to pay my ex wife's debt of over 100,000 that I was never involved in any way! There is NO CONTRACT between them and I. The contract is specifically between them. Why would I not have been charged criminally if I was inv

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: When you do not appear in court, you give up your right to claim that you had nothing to do with it. If you failed to appear, you were probably defaulted - which is what happens in a civil matter versus a bench warrant for your arrest in a criminal matter. When you are in default in a civil matter, it works as if everything the plaintiff said you did in the complaint is now true.

You should also review your paperwork to make sure that you were appearing for hearings in both matters. It sounds like you may have attended the criminal pretrial conferences, and maybe not the hearings in the civil matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.