Cleveland, OH asked in Family Law and Child Support for Michigan

Q: I’ve recently changed jobs & the cost for childcare has increased. Is the other parent required to pay half

I have sole legal and physical custody and her father has zero overnights. My pay was increased as well. So I’m wondering if it’s beneficial for me to go back to court to have at the very least, the child care adjusted as it has almost tripled. I am afraid if I try to change the support order I will get less support than I am now because I am making more now

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Brent T. Geers

  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You rightly identified the Catch 22 here. It wouldn't hurt for you to run the numbers of the online child support calculator to see how things might change just to be sure. But as you appear to realize, when you ask to recalculate support, it can go up or down.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.