Stockton, CA asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: Hi. Im in a situtuation where. My wife left me about 3 months with my kids and moved out.. im still living in the house

That i bought. But we put her and her brother name as owner.. but now i get this covenet breach notice that i have to move out of my house... and she is trying to sell the house.. so what are my options. And rights? Can you pls help me out and so i know what i should do.

1 Lawyer Answer
N. Munro Merrick
N. Munro Merrick
  • Del Mar, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You will need an attorney to protect your interests -- if you actually have any interest in the house. Among the issues you will have to provide info on: who paid the down payment? Who paid the monthly loan payment? WHo paid the taxes and insurance? I presume you are taking care of the maintenance, inside and out.

Get all that info, all the documents you have that have any info regarding the purchase of the property and receipts for payments. Even notes of a phone conversations may be relevant. Gather all that and go find a real estate lawyer. The time to do that is now, because you are an occupant in a house you do not own, and they could get you out in 30-45 days.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.