Solvang, CA asked in Divorce for California

Q: Should I do as he is requesting

20 yrs married we have 2 daughters 12 and 13 1 17 yr old son tsp over 400k during his career we moved 5 times and I stayed home with my daughters. however he doesn't want me to mess with how retirement. And the custody of the kids.. he has them I have no means or enough to support myself let alone have my kids .We agree with most everything else and the term if the custody of the kids I don't fully want to agree with because he want legal and physical custody where before it was joint . I cant really afford an attorney but I find myself just saying on but I dont want to make the wrong decision.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angelina Bradley
Angelina Bradley
  • Monterey Park, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You really need to speak with an attorney to discuss the consequences of agreeing to everything he asks for. California is a community property state. You’re in a long-term marriage. I would hate to see you put yourself in a position that puts you in a worse place than where the law would put you if you asked for basic support and let the judge decide.

Contact an attorney. Many offer free consultations. Some, like me, offer payment plans. With the income differential, an attorney fee contribution is a good possibility.

I’m sorry you’re going through this. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.