Bar Harbor, ME asked in Landlord - Tenant for Maine

Q: Landlord shut water off morning after paying rent; won't answer his door or phone and have left notes on his door.

We have all receipts from rent payments, plus we gave him a phone and internet services from our set-up. His other tenant has not paid for some time now, I understand if he wants to shut her water off, but he doesn't have 2 separate shut offs for the water. My boyfriend and I are going on 2 weeks with no water. I've called landlords lawyer with whom we signed the lease with and still nothing has happened. The local sheriffs can't do anything because it's a civil matter. We just got our first snowfall here on MDI and we can't even winterize our house properly without water.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Yarmouth, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: Your question indicates that you have a written lease. You will want to review the terms of your lease to determine what your rights and remedies are under these circumstances and then follow the provisions of the lease. In all likelihood, your lease requires you to provide written notice to your landlord describing the issue in a specified manner (the notes you have left on his door may or may not qualify as written notice under your lease) and then he will have a certain period of time (specified in the lease) to fix the problem. If he doesn’t fix the problem in that period of time, then you can bring a lawsuit against him.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.