El Paso, TX asked in Family Law for Virginia

Q: How quickly can a lawyer domesticate a Florida Final Judgement and get a hearing on a Motion for contempt?

The Final Judgement of Paternity and Parenting Plan were entered in FL. They have moved to VA recently. I filed a Motion for Contempt Florida due to the jurisdiction. Nothing ties anyone involved to FL anymore. We are dual military. Therefore, my lawyer advised me to get a second opinion from a VA lawyer. Do I need the file transferred to a VA court from FL?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Christopher Miller
Michael Christopher Miller
  • Vienna, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Get a "triple sealed" copy of the FL order. File it with a form DC582 in your local Va. JDR court.

The court will send notice to the other party that they contest registration of the order if it is no longer in effect.

Once registered, Va. will give full faith and credit to the Fl. order. File you contempt action.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.