Oakland, CA asked in Workers' Compensation for California

Q: Who can I report employer fraud to avoid liability for an injured worker?

I was injured at work and my claim was denied. On the day I was terminated, the employer offered to pay two days but I was too shocked to ask them why. I didn’t work that day and I was there to see why HR didn’t return my calls. I went to give my dr note to my boss. The insurance carrier won’t pay any benefits because I was terminated. I thought it was strange since I was injured a month after the violation of employee handbook. I recently saw the seperation letter and the employer listed the date of misconduct as the date I was terminated on. This would make it look like I returned to work and I was terminated for caused. I have several documents from the employer showing different dates of misconduct from the employer. Where can I report this? It’s been more than a year so I can’t file 132a. Do I need to contact an employment attorney or workers comp attorney?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Ronald Mahurin

  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Point Arena, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: No. The insurance carrier will not pay any benefits because your claim was denied. Being terminated has nothing to do with your workers' compensation case except in rare circumstances. You can proceed with your WC case and you will probably need representation.

Yes, you need to contact an employment attorney and you should probably file a complaint with the EEOC, which must be done before you can sue your former employer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.