Greenbelt, MD asked in Divorce for Maryland

Q: Hello, I am married for 6 years and getting divorced. What are my rights?

Hello, I am married for 6 years and am not able to go my house because my husband's sister is living there. Since our first year of marriage every visit she tries to break us up. She is here on a tourist visa. Right now I am not working, will I be able to get alimony? Also, is what my sister in law is doing considered an offense? I am from Turkey and was also married there. I was forced to get divorced by threat there. Will this affect the divorce in the US? I live Maryland. What are my rights?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Pawnee A. Davis
Pawnee A. Davis
  • Bethesda , MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: I am not able to give you an answer without more information. There are questions and follow up questions that need to be asked about your situation for me to give you an answer. You may call to schedule a consultation or any divorce lawyer in Maryland of your choosing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.