Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Tennessee

Q: Ramifications to allowing my children to live with their father and his addict wife?

I have sole custody of my children. They're wanting to live with their father. His wife will be released from jail next month. She lost her parental rights due to her addiction last year. She hasn't been able to stay clean for any long period of time in the past 3-5 years.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard Robert Grefseng
Leonard Robert Grefseng
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Columbia, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: I am not sure I understand your question: in my opinion, it would reflect badly on any parent who would allow their children to be around drug use and drug addict behavior. However, you do not specify the age and maturity of your children. That age and maturity is also important when evaluating their desire to live with their father. in summary, much more information is needed to advise you- consult an experienced family law attorney for advice on your specific situation. If you already have a court approved parenting plan, it must be followed until modifications are also court approved.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.