Marietta, GA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Georgia

Q: I am an unwed mother in Ga. Where do I get a legal document that shows I have sole custody? What do I file to get it?

Father is refusing to sign for passport because he has to pay child support. So I need a document that shows I have sole custody.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Ellaretha Coleman

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You can file a declaratory judgment action seeking an order declaring you as the sole physical custodian if the father has not legitimated the child.

P. Justin Thrailkill

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Agreed. That is about your only option. If no father is listed on the birth certificate, sometimes that is good enough for the Dept. of State. However, depending on where you are going, some countries require permission of the other parent to travel to their country.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.