Denver, CO asked in Traffic Tickets for Colorado

Q: I got a “engaged in speed contest” ticket in colorado, what are my rights?

the officer wrote the incorrect location of violation, and didn’t write down the speed i was going, or how he determined my speed

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Kenneth Joyner
John Kenneth Joyner
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Driving over the speed limit can contribute to the officer citing you for a speed contest, but is not necessary. Speed contest is defined as follows:

(b) For purposes of this section, “speed contest” means the operation of one or more motor vehicles to conduct a race or a time trial, including but not limited to rapid acceleration, exceeding reasonable and prudent speeds for highways and existing traffic conditions, vying for position, or performing one or more lane changes in an attempt to gain advantage over one or more of the other race participants. C.R.S. § 42-4-1105.

Also, your ticket usually does not contain all of the information. Officers write their notes and/or narrative separately from the citation and hand it over to the prosecutor. Typically the only way to get that information is for you or your attorney to request discovery from the DA.

On top of your criminal charges, you are looking at a 12-point violation and a predicate towards DMV adjudicating you as a "habitual traffic offender."

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.