Little Rock, AR asked in Criminal Law for Arkansas

Q: In 1999-2000 I was raped/molested by my then brother in law. Is it too late to file charges in Arkansas?

I haven't come forward before as I buried the horrific memories until they surfaced approximately 18 months ago. When the assaults occurred I was only 14-15.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James E Hensley Jr
James E Hensley Jr
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Conway, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: This is a criminal law question. Your lawyer will be the prosecuting attorney in the county in which you live. You should start out by calling your local police department and making a complaint. You can also call the prosecutor directly. They have wonderful people who have been trained on how to help you through this difficult time in your life. I wish you well. I'm sure all the people of Justia and the lawyers who help do so also. You keep fighting!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.