New Orleans, LA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Louisiana

Q: Can a 2 month old CS judgment be set aside?

CSE secured a judgment for support & a wage garnishment on my behalf. The father has now filed “ a rule to decrease support”, in addition to seeking custodial & visitation rights. The father alleges there was no hearing when establishing support & that a number of factors weren’t taken into consideration (expenses, income, CS for other children). We were ordered into mediation before our hearing date.

Is there a likelihood he could have his support lowered? I’m more than happy to establish a parenting/custody plan. But if mediation means negotiation I’m not willing to negotiate my current judgment for support. He hadn’t provided any support for our almost 1 year old until the wage garnishment went into effect.

Is an attorney recommended/necessary for mediation. I’m trying to secure consel, but unsure of the best avenues to begin my search.

1 Lawyer Answer

Ellen Cronin Badeaux

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You do need an attorney for custody and visitation. The state does not support you on that.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.