Fort Worth, TX asked in Tax Law for Texas

Q: If I believe my boss is skimming money from his business, who would I report this to? The IRS?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Eric Steven Day
Eric Steven Day
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Henderson, NV

A: You could report this to the IRS if he is not reporting all the income he is making to the IRS for tax purposes. The IRS has a whistleblower program, where you can turn in individuals or businesses for evading taxes and take a percentage of whatever the IRS is going to collect from the taxpayer. However, the IRS usually is looking for the big cases that has potential to collect in the millions of dollars because they have to use a certain amount of resources to prove it. Additionally, you would have to provide to the IRS some concrete evidence this is happening in order for them to want to follow up on it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.