Clarksville, TN asked in Civil Litigation and Criminal Law for Tennessee

Q: If a vehicle is seized for a criminal act and the vehicle has a lien holder will the bank return to person with lien?

I have a settlement agreement with the Police Department to pay and get my truck back. I guess I was just hoping the lien holder could get their property back and return to me considering I have made payments on the vehicle and not fallen behind on them while it has been seized. The state can't, to my understanding do anything with the vehicle anyway because there is a lien on the title.

1 Lawyer Answer

Anthony M. Avery

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If the Lienholder does not make a Claim with a Bond within a very short period, just like you have to, then they do not get the collateral back. The Lienholder was probably notified of the Forfeiture Seizure, and the Notice of Seizure should have both your Name and your Lender. If they do get the vehicle, it will probably not satisfy the Debt, and they will be after you for the Note Deficiency.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.