Easton, PA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Pennsylvania

Q: My son is 16 years old let me lives in Pennsylvania but does not want to go back to his father what do I do

He left home because you do not want to be there anymore only to come stay with me in New Jersey I had court today in Northampton county in Pennsylvania and the master said that he is not old enough to decide and I'm scared if I force him to go back he will run away what legal rights does he have at 16 in Pennsylvania

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Karen Ulmer Pendergast
Karen Ulmer Pendergast
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Langhorne, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: He will not have the right to decide until he is 18. Unfortunately, you will have to go through the court process and follow the orders if you cannot reach an agreement with the other parent. You should talk with him and explain that he needs to respect the decision of the court, but see if the other parent will agree to counseling to get to the root of the problem as to why he does not want go there.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.