League City, TX asked in Child Custody for Georgia

Q: I live out of state an trying to get custody of my son. The mother is deceased an the court granted the grandmother

temporary custody. I don't want that so seeing how to legitimate my son, or what step do I need to take now she have those rights

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Regina Irene Edwards

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You should consult with a family law attorney about your options. You don't appear to know if she has guardianship through probate court, or custody through juvenile or Superior court, so an attorney can help you figure that out and to determine your next steps.

P. Justin Thrailkill

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Contact an attorney in Georgia about proceeding with a legitimation. It is not a color by numbers operation, meaning it is not something someone can just tell you how to do. You need professional help, especially given the fact that the mother is now deceased and there is some sort of custody proceeding whereby the grandmother has gotten custody. Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.