Asked in Probate and Estate Planning for Kansas

Q: My Mother in law passed away

My mother in laws name is on the deed to the house. She passed away. She left the house to her kids in her will. Her husband is still alive who is a step dad. The will has not been filed with the court yet. The will states the husband can live in the house until his death. Does the will stand? Or does the deed go into the husbands name? The husband also has kids of his own who have no contact with him. They will no doubt come out of the woodwork at his death and think they will get the house. How does this type of scenario play out? Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Scott C. Stockwell

  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Lawrence, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: If there is a will, it should be filed with the court within six months of the date of death. Notice will be provided to persons with a potential interest in the estate and a hearing date will be set. If no one opposes the probate of the will, it will be probated as a valid will and an executor (or administrator with the will attached) will be appointed. Creditors will have a period of four months from the filing of the petition to make claims against the estate. The spouse will have the right to assert certain claims against the estate (e.g., homestead, spousal share; spousal election) and the court will have a process to determine the spousal rights. After creditors' claims are processed and the spousal rights have been determined, the balance of the estate would be disposed of in accorance with the terms of the will. There are a lot of variables involved, such as the size of the estate, the specific provisions of the will, the spousal rights, and creditor's claims, that could affect what the spouse receives and what the children or other persons named as beneficiaries of the will's provisions might receive. You should consult with an attorney as soon as possible and establishe a plan of action. .

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.