Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Florida

Q: What does this mean in layman's terms? When does CS stop for my 18yo daughter? Thank you

I am the father paying CS. My daughter is the oldest turned 18 on 12/12/2018. My son is 16.

I am confused as to statement below, when can I stop paying CS?

"Father shall continue payment of child support in such manner until modified by court order, or until the date of the earliest occurrence of one of the following events: (a) the youngest child reaches the age of 18 years, or if the child is between the ages of 18 and 19, a dependent in fact and still in high school performing in good faith with a reasonable expectation of graduation before the age of 19, the court may modify this order to extend support until the graduates from high school or attains the age of 19 years, whichever comes first; or (b) such child becomes emancipated."

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Assuming she is the youngest child, is she going to graduate before her next birthday? Is she still your dependent? If so, you need to ask the court to extend the order so that the father will be required to continue paying child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.