Asked in Domestic Violence for Oklahoma

Q: What is the procedure in court for a domestic violence an b by strangulation by strangulation isnt right

The police officer had made a statement that I had marks on my neck I said I dont think he chokes me she said there are marks on ur neck and took pics and it was put in report that he choked me I have mad a written statement to the fact of what happen what is process now and will they drop the strangulation

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Doak Willis
Doak Willis
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tahlequah, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: You should go to the District Attorneys office where the charges were filed and speak to the assistant D.A. who has been assigned the case. You need to clear up your statement that you made to insure that indeed you told the investigator that you don't think the person charged choked you. You should ask the D.A. if your statement said otherwise and clear up that issue as it is very important. If you wait until the Court date and testify to something different than what you wrote in your statement, you could get in trouble. So go see the D.A and get that issue cleared up before the Court date.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.