Burkesville, KY asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Kentucky

Q: My ex husband has legal custody of my child. The child now lives with me. Can I draw support for them in kentucky?

I paid my ex husband support for our children. He dropped the support because he wanted me to raise our daughter now. He has legal custody of our two children. The daughter lives with me in another county and has to attend school here. Her brother still remains in the fathers home. Since she lives with me, but I don't have legal custody, can I now draw support payments?

1 Lawyer Answer

Timothy Denison

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Yes, but you should also seek an modification of custody do you too have legal custody.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.