Terrell, TX asked in Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support for Texas

Q: My job is going to offer Health Ins but my ex has my son on Medicaid and is opposed. Do I have to cover him on my plan?

I have another child with my current wife so I will have the family plan anyway, so it's no additional cost to me. I do reimburse the state $50 a month now for the Medicaid through child support. She claims since I am not custodial I do not have to add him, but my divorce papers say I am supposed to cover him.

1 Lawyer Answer

Victoria Collins

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If your Final decree designates you as the parent who provides the child health insurance, then you are the one responsible to provide. Once you have added the child to your health plan, you may want to seek legal counsel regarding the modification of your support requirements so that you are not paying for Medicaid.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.