Terrell, TX asked in Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support for Texas

Q: My job is going to offer Health Ins but my ex has my son on Medicaid and is opposed. Do I have to cover him on my plan?

I have another child with my current wife so I will have the family plan anyway, so it's no additional cost to me. I do reimburse the state $50 a month now for the Medicaid through child support. She claims since I am not custodial I do not have to add him, but my divorce papers say I am supposed to cover him.

Victoria Collins

• Divorce Lawyer
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If your Final decree designates you as the parent who provides the child health insurance, then you are the one responsible to provide. Once you have added the child to your health plan, you may want to seek legal counsel regarding the modification of your support requirements so that you are not paying for Medicaid.