Westminster, MD asked in Personal Injury and Probate for Maryland

Q: Need help getting my 21 yr. old daughter access to her title 13 bank account established for her as a minor.

From a dog bite attack at the age of 3 my daughter has funds in a Title 13 account in a local bank. She is now 21 years old and wants access to the money. The bank is refusing to let her have it, stating she needs a court order to do so. What can we do to prove there is no court order needed? It’s only a little money, hiring a lawyer would cost more then the funds in the bank. Or am I wrong is there legal action needed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Maryland Estates & Trusts Code, Sections 13-405(a) (applicable to funds recovered in personal injury/tort claims) and 13-501(b) (applicable in all other scenarios), both provide that full payment may be made to the minor child upon attainment of 18 years of age, without a court order. A court order is only required if funds are paid before the child reached 18 years of age. You may look up the two statutes and print them out and show them to the bank, and demand that the bank contact their legal counsel's office to confirm their legal obligations if they refuse, or failing that, pay a lawyer to call and write the bank and get them to comply.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.