Evans, GA asked in Elder Law for Georgia

Q: I really don’t know what to do. I need some legal advice. My sister forced power of attorney from My dad.

She told my dad that she would ruin me if he did not sign it over. Then told me if I did not want to lose my life and career... car apartment and all. I better get him to sign it over. My dad is in the beginning stages of Alzheimer’s. I am single and my dad had been helping me along. I have diabetes. And am bipolar but controlled for years. My sister knows about my health...basically she and my mother cut me off out of pure hatred. I have been hurt physically from abuse of power of attorney. Not only this but I am suspicious of other things. She has been verbally abusive...demanding... threatening...and I did file a complaint with the police: since sept she has put me under so much stress... my health has declined. She knows what she is doing. I have done my best to set everything correct financially with what I make.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kelli Y. Allen
Kelli Y. Allen
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC

A: Since your Dad is still competent, he could execute a new power of attorney naming someone other than your sister as agent and revoke he POA giving her authority. If she is still trying to manipulate your dad, you should contact law enforcement of Adult Protective Services in the county where you Dad lives.

Homer P Jordan IV agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.