Prairieville, LA asked in Child Support for Louisiana

Q: My husband had a child in 2003 he is on the birth certificate, but the child does not carry his last name.

The mother moved to Hawaii without notice, remarried, and now after 12 years is divorced. She tried to have the child adopted by her then husband and never notified my husband. The child has no clue my husband is his father. Without ever being notified she filed for child support in 2005 in Texas while she lived in Mississippi. He was never sever nor did he appear and they set child support. Since her divorce she now has found our address and we were mailed a notice from the attorney generals office with a wage garnishment arrears of $76,000, and monthly child support of $555. Is there anything that we can do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Yes you can hire an attorney who can challenge the arrears and get a hearing on the ongoing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.