Virginia Beach, VA asked in Family Law, Child Support, Civil Litigation and Collections for Virginia

Q: What are my options? How can I pursue contempt of court for non payment of child support?

For the past several months, I have provided my local child support office with information on the non-custodials place of employment. This information included pictures of the non-custodial parent in uniform with the company logo, Facebook postings and pictures from the website that listed him as a supervisor that this company. The parent resides in California, the Child Support office there has sent five wage withholding stories his employer, these notices were not acknowledged by his employer and twice they said he didn’t work there, but I have evidence that say he does work there. I’m not sure if he’s replying to the wage withholding stating his does not work there or if the employer is lying. Child support enforcement says I can not pursue contempt of court because the non-custodial parent is on public assistance. What are my options to pursue contempt? What kind I do to pursue charges or complaint against the employer? He is 90k in arrears, this alone should be contempt of court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.