Antioch, TN asked in Criminal Law for Arkansas

Q: Will i ever be able to own guns again. Expunged, Pardoned etc? In Arkansas preferably United States

I have a 3rd degree battery charge already over a year old. Temporary restraining order was dismissed court fees paid in full. If i get it expunged or pardoned will i retain my gun rights back

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James E Hensley Jr
James E Hensley Jr
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Conway, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: To have your gun rights, there are a couple things required:

1) You must have your record sealed. A Battery III can be sealed five years after you are finished with probation, payment of fees, restitution, costs, etc. Don't bother filing anything with the Governor or ACIC until the time has ran. You will be wasting your money: and

2) After you have the order to seal and Arkansas Crime Information Center has sealed your record, you can petition the Governor of Arkansas to reinstate your gun rights.

Please realize that the Feds may not recognize the gun rights reinstated so you might not be able to buy a weapon at a store. You can still own one and carry it though; at least that's what a Governor's pardon should do. Note that there are several websites who will not know of your record being sealed. If a prospective employer runs a background check, it is entirely possible that your record will still show up. You will then send this Website a copy of the Order to Seal. They should correct their records. Background websites do not watch for any changes in your record. They just report everything and let their clients sort out what is true. You will be correcting errors for quite some time. Your lawyer will not do this for you. He/she will be clearing your state record only.

You can do most of this yourself through ACIC.ORG where you can obtain the forms. Still, the system doesn't work well with folks representing themselves. Fees to do all the legal work is usually between $1800 and $3500 depending on how many charges you have and other circumstances that will inevitably arise.

Take some really good advice from a lawyer who helps people in your shoes:

1) Get a Lawyer;

2) Make sure this lawyer is the most-expensive lawyer out there;

3) Make sure your lawyer gives you his cell phone number and will talk to you on the weekends, evenings, and holidays; and

4) Allow about 6 months for the procedures to be finished.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.