Germantown, TN asked in Civil Litigation for Tennessee

Q: How do I find out what the Statute of Limitations is for a Civil case filed in the U.S. Western District Court of TN?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Anthony M. Avery

  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Generally a Federal suit is controlled by the appropriate State Statute of Limitations. In Tennessee, personal injury is 1 yr, property damage is 3 yr, real estate/title actions are normally 7 yr. and so on. Occasionally a federal cause of action will have federal statute of limitations. You need a lawyer to see what type of case you have, and whether it can be prosecuted.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.