Dallas, TX asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Texas

Q: Is the cost of a drug inpatient program responsibility of non-custodial parent? My daughter is 17.

Daughter was caught with drugs at school and sent to juvenile hall. She was released but required to submit to random drug tests. She failed two of these, and was recently ordered to attend an inpatient drug program as a condition of her release from juvie. Ex sent me a screenshot of an email from program director with some costs. Told me to pay her the costs of the program. I have been completely estranged from my daughter since divorce about year and a half ago.

The question is whether a judicially ordered drug program would be considered a "reasonable and necessary" health care expense as specified in the decree.

1 Lawyer Answer

Victoria Collins

  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The answer to your question lay in your Final decree of Divorce, your Order of Conservatorship, Mediation Settlement Agreement, or whatever document you have that lays out each parent's rights and duties. Whichever parent is responsible for medical care that is who must pay for the program. Sometimes this is a shared expense. Your being estranged from your daughter does not relieve you of your rights and duties as her parent.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.