Asked in Immigration Law

Q: Due to some reasons my friend Farhan Haider Shah can not come to USA to maintain the validity of his green card.Options?

Farhan is on green card and he is in Pakistan, His last date to enter will expire on 15 Feb 2019

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Kelli Y Allen

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC

A: As a permanent resident, he must re-enter the U.S. at least once every six months or he can disrupt his continuous presence (impacts future ability to naturalize.) If he stays outside the U.S. for more than 1 year without re-entering, he can be deemed to have abandoned his permanent residency status. If there is a valid reason to remain outside the U.S. for an extended period of time, a permanent resident can request a re-entry permit prior to leaving the U.S. This services as notification that there is no intention to abandon permanent residency while simultaneously providing a valid re-entry document.

Hector E. Quiroga

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: That is the date his green card expires? He can apply for an advance parole document that could allow him to stay out longer than that.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.