Duluth, MN asked in Personal Injury for Minnesota

Q: I was named the victim in a federal lawsuit in 2016; I lost the letter. How can I find information about the case

It pertained to identity theft (mine, specifically) and tax returns filed fraudulently under my name. I'd like to attain another copy of that letter in case I get audited. Someone filed taxes under my name and received a return; I talked to someone from the IRS about it, she said the tax filings that year were suspicious and she recommended I get the letter.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Peter N. Munsing


A: Research the lawsuit and contact the attorneys involved; talk to a cpa about how you can check your returns and if you dispute the records the IRS has then ask the IRS how you have them corrected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.