Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Alabama

Q: If a man has 5/more children does it exempt him from paying child support? My daughter's boyfriend says that. He's on #4

The daddy says that in Alabama the law is in his favor. If he has 5 or more children he doesnt have to pay child support at all.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Kristine Jones

  • Montgomery, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: All children are owed support by their biological parents. The custody arrangement determines who is to pay and how much. The schedule for child support guidelines are calculated for up to six children, but that does not mean they would not calculate it for the 7th, 8th, 9th child, etc. It is not the 7th child's fault they were not born sooner and somehow that makes them ineligible for support.

The child support guidelines are available online to the public by doing an internet search for Alabama Child Support guideline schedule. A lot of information is available on the Alabama Administrative Office of Courts website too.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.