San Clemente, CA asked in Health Care Law, Immigration Law and Civil Rights for California

Q: Would be legal in California marry a homeless on disabilty for mental illness? Take care and give him a home?

I am Brazilian visitor with a american family and legal situation of extension visa. I came to take gcare of my 80 years old mom, but she is doing pretty better.

Just met this guy as a handman and got completely in love. I am single never married before, I have support and sponsor. Actually I do not feel good of leaving the love of my life on the street again and go back. He cannot even have a PASSAPORT to go with me. Please help me

1 Lawyer Answer

Kelli Y Allen

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC

A: Front an immigration standpoint, there is nothing to prevent you from marrying him. If he is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, he could then petition for you to become a permanent resident. The specifics of that process depend on a lot of factors, so I encourage you to have an immigration attorney assist with the process.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.