Midland, GA asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Alabama

Q: Can a bio father that’s been absent my child entire life get joint physical and legal custody?

My child is 3. His bio father is just now coming into his life bc I asked for child support, he wants half custody and for my son to no longer see the man that raised him(we are no longer together)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Kristine Jones

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Montgomery, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Yes, a biological father can ask a court for custody of a child that is his. The other facts you mentioned would be for the court to consider in its calculation of custody and the child support obligation, if any. You should seek legal counsel in your area, or an Alabama barred attorney in the area in which the case was filed. Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.