San Diego, CA asked in Animal / Dog Law for California

Q: I bought a dog,was financially responsible, and primary caregiver. After I left, abusive ex got TRO with custody of dog

Abusive ex boyfriend allowed me to buy a dog after he got drunk and punched me in the eye. I bought the dog, 100% financially liable, food, vet, medication, stayed at home with dog, etc. Any compensation was feigning kindness to manipulate. The next couple years Ex abused dog, throw items at him, kick him, too aggressive w/ him, he is less than ten lbs. Dog would cry, urinate himself and run to me. The dog was not the only victim of his narcissistic abuse. Scared to just leave bc he has told me he can find where Iive, scared to report animal cruelty he would 100% know it was me. But, I did it, left with the dog. Thought i was in the clear. Then I was served a DV TRO! Frivolous charges, false pretenses, the judged granted it, ordered me to give him custody! Not a chance, so I have had friends/family care for him. Then contempt charges, then criminal charges. Civil will trail criminal but criminal judge ordered I hand dog over bc ex is now claiming theft! How do i protect dog ASAP!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William John Light
William John Light
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You lost your DV TRO. That was your opportunity to prove ownership of the dog and to protect it. You have an obligation to comply with the court's orders, including handing the dog over.

The "T" in "TRO" stands for "Temporary". It is not final. Get an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.