Mckinney, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: I am being stalked/harrassed by an immigrant from Iraq, who lied to ICE to get in. how can I get copies of his IOM docs?

an Iraqi man is stalking me after I told him I was not interested in dating him. I helped him with immigration papers, and later I discovered he lied about details on his papers. He has threatened me and my family, but I am unsafe until he is stopped. I want to get his papers to prove he lied, so he can be deported and me and my family an be safe. how do I do this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Kelli Y Allen

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC

A: My recommendation is to contact the police and press charges. If he is arrested, local law enforcement will notify Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) if he does not have legal status. Even he he has legal status (unless he is a USC), certain criminal convictions could cause him to be placed in removal proceedings. You can contact ICE to let them know you believe someone obtained an immigration benefit by fraud, but with such a backlog of cases already in the system, they are not likely to start an investigation just based on that. You are not going to be able to access any of his immigration records yourself, so you will have to work through one of those agencies. But filing criminal charges would be my recommended action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.