Renton, WA asked in Personal Injury for Oregon

Q: I had a judgment against me and a garnishment was enforced over a 3200 er bill that was a work comp injury Is this lega

Sorry for the abrupt question only had 120 character. Injury happened in dec 2015 and all of the appropriate paperwork that providence gave me was filled out and returned to my employer the very next day as they had set up a appointment with a hand specialist. That bill apparently got paid and I was awarded 1800 for permanent loss of motion in my non dominant hand and a claim number was opened up. I was served a notice of small claims court of multnomah county about 2 months ago so I called the debt collector and in the file that was sent to them they let it slip that it could be a possible workers comp injury I then asked them why they are coming after me in which they replied that my name signed the er papers. I didn’t hear anything after that and honestly I forgot about it until my wife and I and our two young children got home from eastern Oregon for Christmas and low and behold there is a judgment letter informing me that my check was going to be garnished and sure enough it was.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens
  • Hillsboro, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: This is why you should have hired an attorney back when you received the notice of the small claims case. You may be able to have the judgment set aside, but seek out a consumer protection attorney (not me) ASAP. Not next week, NOW. Use Google and search to find one. Time is of the essence, and was months ago when you received the letter about the small claims case.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.