Fort Lauderdale, FL asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Florida

Q: Does my sister have to give me my mother's(father died 3 months earlier) probate lawyers name?

In PA, I live in Florida. How can I protect my interests? How do I know what interests I actually have?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Phillip William Gunthert
Phillip William Gunthert
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes, she should, unless she is trying to hide something. A Probate Attorney does not represent the beneficiaries but rather represents the Personal Representative and the Estate of the Deceased, this does not necessarily include the best interest of the beneficiaries. Therefore, you may or may not get many responses or much information from the attorney without your own representation by legal counsel. As a courtesy as well as a real obligation, any attorney doing a probate should keep all beneficiaries or possible beneficiaries or people with interests reasonably informed, this means sending you a copy of the Will and or inventory and or accounting and or regular and reasonable updates. If you are not being informed and being kept updated, then there is no doubt a potential issue that you would want to address and look into further. After 3 months you should receive some sort of an update (at least in Florida you would), but 3 months is really not that long of a time in the world of probate matters, therefore be aware of this. Furthermore, what is your relationship with your sister, is there reason for concern on your part or are you just being proactive on this matter (which is also wise)?

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.