Milton, FL asked in Child Custody for Kentucky

Q: I had emergency custody of my niece and nephew for 8 months and then moved out of state and lost them both.

I had temporary custody of my niece and nephew for around 8 months in Kentucky and then moved out of state and the kids were taking from me and giving back to their father. There father is currently on probabtion and just failed another drug test and has been giving 10 days in jail. The kids are currently with their grandparents and I would like to go to Kentucky and file for custody again. Do you think the judge would let the kids leave the state? The kids ages are 4 and 5. My brother lives with my parents and he does drugs in their basement and has no consequences. I feel like the children aren’t safe and never will be until they are out of that home.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Timothy Denison

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Highly unlikely the judge places them out of state. Too much red tape and too many obstacles if the children don’t come back.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.