Jacksonville Beach, FL asked in Family Law and Real Estate Law for Ohio

Q: My father died with will (no copy for me) I want the house in which I grew up in Ohio. Lineal descent cover this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Joseph Jaap

  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Ohio law specifies the order in which family members share in property when there is no will. But the deed to his house might have had joint ownership and survivorship, or transfer on death provisions. If so, then those would control, and the house would not be subject to probate, and would transfer according to those instructions, not Ohio law for descent and distribution. Consult a local attorney where he lived to review the deed and any other documents recorded for the house and advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.