Tulsa, OK asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma

Q: Can I get charged with child neglect after a officer already let me go and said he wasn't going to,

Last night I ran I to a store to grab a gift card, my 2 year old was sleeping so I left her, i parked by the doors and locked the doors, I came out and there was an officer waiting, well he didn't charge me with a crime he said let it be a lesson learned but I did have a warrant for unpaid tickets. My dad came and picked up my daughter and they booked me but I paid what I was supposed to and got out the same night, at 12:21 i got a call from a private number(I don't answer private numbers) he left a voicemail telling me who he was and asked for me to call him back because he had a few more questions to ask me. Well he called back today 3 times and said he needed to ask me a few more questions about last night. Do I have to call him back, and could he decide to charge me now with child neglect? He gave me the number to the police station and badge number so I know it was legitimate

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Keegan Kelley Harroz

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Yes you can still be charged. You must hire an attorney right away. Under no circumstances should you ever speak to law enforcement without your attorney being present.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.