Miami, FL asked in Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: Can my sons car be seized as a result of a pending drug trafficking case. He still has payments he doesn’t own the car

My son has a finance company he makes payments to. And has not be convicted or ever had priors . I can prove that the funds to pay for the car came from my retirement and his paycheck.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

David Edward Boyle

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Monroe, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Unfortunately, yes the car can be seized. However the government will have to pay off the loan on the car to get to keep it. The creditors rights trump the government. A forfeiture action can be challenged and often provides access to information faster than in the criminal case. In some cases you are entitled to discovery which allows you to take the depositions of the officers, something you cannot do in a criminal case. I would encourage you to hire a lawyer for your son. Trafficking requires a minimum period of confinement based upon the weight of the drugs but starts at 10 years in prison and goes up from there.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.