Red Oak, TX asked in Civil Rights, Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Texas

Q: I was force to resigned or get terminated for using a police car to go home and work. I am a Chief of police

I am a Hispanic Chief of police . I am also being force to pay back the gas. I’m being charge according the miles I traveled to work and home. Before we got the new police car, I used my personal car for police duties for 2 months which my superintendent was very much aware of. This came from an Investigation that the superintendent and H.R. conducted on me. I feel I was not given due process. I was told to pay the money to please the school board. It would look better on me. I never signed any form reading me my rights to protect myself. Just the accusation of misconduct for taking the police car assigned to me home and to work. I was never specifically told that I was not supposed to take the new police car home. I was told this is my new assigned police car. I am on call 24/7. Please advise. Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Roy Lee Warren
Roy Lee Warren
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • San Marcos, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: My goodness, I cannot believe they treated you like that! Look at the employment policies to determine whether such events are addressed, if not you may well have an argument against your employer to claim "implied consent" because it acquiesced to your previous use. The fact you were on call 24/7 also should help your cause. You could be entitled to mileage for use of your car. Contact Texas Employment Commission. Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.