Scottsville, VA asked in Family Law for Virginia

Q: If the father is absent for 9 years and wants visitation is he likely to get it no established relationship

He disappeared when she was 2 years old had nothing to do with her from the time she was born has jump from state to state and is now filing for visitation my daughter has never met this man before we tried going through a mediator and he follows nothing we agree to what are my options I would like sole custody

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel P Leavitt
Daniel P Leavitt
  • Midlothian, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Every court and judge is different. They will look at a number of factors. I don't know what your custody situation is right now but custody and visitation are different. Someone can have sole custody and there can still be a visitation order in place. Generally Virginia law leans towards having both parents involved in a child's life but there are cases where that doesn't happen due to abandonment, etc. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.