Kingwood, TX asked in Estate Planning for Texas

Q: what does she need to do now?

My friend was appointed administrator of the estate after her husband died with out a will. He has three daughters from previous marriages that are entitled to their part of the estate. Two of them signed papers for a buyout of their part of the estate. The court approved the buyout and the judge signed the approval. Then my friends lawyer suddenly died. She has copies of all these procedures and what she needs to know now is this all she needs before she sends the checks to those two daughters?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Terry Lynn Garrett

  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If your friend thinks she is in further need of legal representation, she should contact the local probate court. Lawyers have a form to file with the court when they take over a deceased lawyer's practice. If this is a dependent administration, there are further steps she must take. If this is an independent administration, she should at least get a Receipt and Release in exchange for the checks. She must also file the 1040 and perhaps a 1041.

Kyle Robbins agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.