Nashville, TN asked in Real Estate Law and Land Use & Zoning for Tennessee

Q: I have an easement and I am landlocked (washed out access) and can't find the owner. He moved out of state what can I do

I live in Tennessee

1 Lawyer Answer

Anthony M. Avery

  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Apparently you have the Dominant Estate and enjoy an Easement over the Servient Estate. Try to find who the responsible taxpayer is from the Tax Assessor and his address. You probably can rebuild the right of way, but do no expand it beyond what you already had or what an appurtenant Easement clause says in his Deed. The Servient Esatate usually does not have a duty to restore a destroyed right of way, but it is better to get an agreement about how to restore the path of ingress/egress.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.