Yucca Valley, CA asked in Consumer Law for California

Q: Can i be charged for damages to a hotel room if i wasn’t in it, break in was witnessed by employee, no police called?

i rented a motel room. It was broken into by someone kicking in the door. This was witnessed by a hotel employee who neglected to call police or file a report. I can show that the room was unoccupied by either myself or my son at the alleged time of the break in. Items were missing. Room was tossed. I am being charged for damages. I am told there are no security cameras on the property. Can i be charged for damages?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Scott Richard Kaufman

  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Los Altos, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Sounds like you ARE being charged.

Sounds like you have a defense.

Wish it were better for you, but, hopefully, you will do fine...

William John Light

  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Call your credit card company and dispute the charges.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.