Houma, LA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: Can my kids father take child without any agreement. Never been to court he is only ordered to pay child support

We have never been married he is on the birth certificate. He had him one weekend and decided not to return him and enrolled him in another school and wont let me see him. I've had child living with me without him for 6 years while he comes and goes as he pleases. We have never been to custody court but we have been through child support enforcement and he is ordered to pay child support. He said he will not let me see him until I give him his clothes, toys, birth certificate, insurance card, child support card, and his ssc. He is also trying to put a restraining order on me against my son. Is this legal how he did this? I am waiting for an attorney to accept my case to bring him to court but I want my son back. Is there anything I can tell the cops to get him back sooner than waiting to go to court? He has told me this is payback for me leaving him and I have this on recording also emails and texts that's very concerning. He's had him 3 weeks now and still haven't seen my child.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You need to hire a custody attorney. It sounds like you have a hearing date coming up for ex parte custody

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.